Thursday, May 24, 2007

Melisser; The Urban Housewife.

I've never been the domestic type- owning a home in the suburbs, children underfoot, having dinner on the table when my husband walks in the door have never appealed to me. Guess what? THEY STILL DON'T!
I am a city girl with no plans for children. I have tattoos, I love to dance at clubs, I love animals & I'm a vegetarian. I have a career that sends me all over the place & a husband who in our 9 years together never minded I was domestically challenged. I have always had a sweet tooth & I've never had a problem downing 2 desserts before the main course has arrived.
So, when did I make the jump from dancing & dining out to baking & recipe book reading?

About a year ago, I went to a bakery in New York City & tasted their famous cupcakes. Once home in San Francisco, I wished I could have more of these delectable little treats, but there was nothing similar available. That's when it dawned on me, "I could make my own cupcakes!" & I hit the internet & came across the recipe for the very bakery I adored.

Baking was foreign to me- sure, my mother made cakes for people to raise extra money when I was a child, but I hadn't experienced anything beyond cake mixes, canned frosting, & basic cookie recipes.
Whether beginners luck or meticulous attention to detail, my 1st attempt at baking cupcakes from scratch was a success. The friends who experienced my cupcakes started asking for more & I was hooked! Potlucks, BBQs, & birthdays meant a chance to bake & I took every single opportunity I could get.

These days between work & travel, you'll find me cooking with vegetables from our local farmers market, shopping at Sur La Table & Williams Sonoma, studying Martha Stewart, scouring Epicurious for recipes, & of course, tearing up the local dance floors all night long!

Hi there, I'm Melisser. I'm 1 part sugar, 2 parts spice & I'm here to share my culinary adventures with other foodies, fashionistas, & fun seekers from every corner of the world.

10 comments:

meep said...

My favourite blogs are FOOD BLOGS!
(and mp3 blogs)

I'm excited to read! :)

Natalie said...

Whoooie! You're hot stuff!

Melissa said...

now figure out the recipe for squishy pink cookies!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh yessss, I should try the pink cookies!

cuppacakes said...

hot mama!
xox
'_'

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Baking was foreign to me- sure, my mother made cakes for people to raise extra money when I was a child, but I hadn't experienced anything beyond cake mixes, canned frosting, & basic cookie recipes.
Whether beginners luck or meticulous attention to detail, my 1st attempt at baking cupcakes from scratch was a success. The friends who experienced my cupcakes started asking for more & I was hooked! Potlucks, BBQs, & birthdays meant a chance to bake & I took every single opportunity I could get.


That perfectly describes me, too! I think we might have a lot in common!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

oh cuppa! *blush*

howtoeat, it'll be great to compare baking notes as we both go from beginners to bakers! :)

Chubby Cheek Girls said...

Wow chickadee.... story sounds just like mine well with the exception of the munchkins, and having dinner on the table for my hubby!! I can totally relate on the sweet tooth I eat so many sweets my teeth hurt sometimes! ;D

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Yes, I've given myself many sugar headaches, especially on days when I try to detox from it! ugh!

Affordable Luxurious Wedding Dress Blog said...

cheap wedding gowns,
discount bridal gowns,
China wedding dresses,
discount designer wedding dresses,
China wedding online store,
plus size wedding dresses,
cheap informal wedding dresses,
junior bridesmaid dresses,
cheap bridesmaid dresses,
maternity bridesmaid dresses,
discount flower girl gowns,
cheap prom dresses,
party dresses,
evening dresses,
mother of the bride dresses,
special occasion dresses,
cheap quinceanera dresses,
hot red wedding dresses