Monday, December 10, 2007

Pumpkin Doughnuts with Cinnamon Glaze.

Please head over to my new blog at TheUrbanHousewife.com, where you'll find this post & more!

The sweet treats of NYC are coming soon, but in the mean time, here’s a recipe that somehow came together in my kitchen this weekend for the monthly Vegan Brunch Cartel. Experimentation, a little bit of this & a little bit of that seemed to pay off in the form of Pumpkin Doughnuts. I wanted to share this with you before the ingredients have left the markets, so you can have your own weekend brunch treat with friends!

Pumpkin Doughnuts (Special equipment needed; donut pan.)
Ingredients:
1 cup AP flour
1 cup WW Pastry Flour
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp nutmeg)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup pumpkin, freshly roasted or canned
1 1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup Earth Balance (or other margarine), softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In to a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, then add in the brown sugar.

Add pumpkin, soy milk, vanilla, margarine, & vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on low speed or whisk until just mixed.

Add the apple cider vinegar & carefully fold it in until just mixed.

Fill the wells of your donut pan almost to the brim. Bake them for 10 minutes, or till golden brown.

Remove the doughnuts from the oven & allow them to cool on a rack.

Cinnamon Doughnut Glaze
Ingredients:
1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 tablespoons soy milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon, or to taste

Instructions:
Whisk all of the ingredients together.
If you like a thicker glaze, add more confectioners sugar, to make it more icing-like.

After the doughnuts have cooled, use a spoon to drizzle the tops, allowing the excess to fall to parchment paper below your cooling rack.

This yields 12 doughnuts.

My Notes:
While these aren't the amazing Mighty O, these lightly pumpkin flavored little treats will satisfy your seasonal sweets craving! I was happy with the results & the VBC crew didn't seem to have any complaints!

30 comments:

The Vegan Tornado said...

These are the best vegan donuts I've ever had. Bar none and that's including Mighty O!!!

Gigi said...

Wow, these look scrumptious! You never cease to amaze.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

pumpkin-cinnamon doughnuts?? FABULOUS!!! I'm sure that they ARE just as delicious (if not, more) than the Mighty-O variety :0)

aTxVegn said...

I can't tell you how wonderful pumpkin donuts sound! They look amazing. Santa, please bring me a donut pan for christmas.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

beautiful, gorgeous

BitterSweet said...

Oh my goodness, as if I didn't already have enough tempting holiday recipes to try out? These look absolutely incredible, and they're definitely going on my to-make list!!

Ashasarala said...

Amazing. I copied and pasted this into my 'must make' notes. ;) Thanks for posting!

SaraJane said...

I got so excited as I was reading this until I came to the part about the donut pan. Damn. :( They look awesome, though.

julie hasson said...

Yum Melisser! These look so good. Maybe it's time for me to pull out my donut pan. Thanks for the inspiration.

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

ohhhhhhhhhh yum

*goes into a tiny pumpkin-confection coma*

no no, that's a good thing. SUCH a good thing. and they're even baked! <3

the little one said...

Wowser! They sound like a delicious unique sweet.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

*swoons*

Anonymous said...

mmm... pumpkin!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

I just found your blog from maybepigs... and your blog is now my best friend - you managed to take my love for pumpkin and turn it into my other love - vegan donuts.

I'm drooooooooooling.

Happyherbivore.blgspot.com

Judy said...

I just found your blog - love it!

These donuts look amazing....but then again, I don't think I've ever met a donut I didn't like.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Laura- you are too kind.

atxvegn- I hope you get your donut pan, they're quite inexpensive!

Hannah- I hope you enjoy them! They were a total experiment, so let me know if you tweak the recipe!

ashasarala- Let me know how they turn out!

sarajane- You should get one! Mine was $10!

Julie- I hope you enjoy them! Baked donuts are so fun.

Liz²- yes! baked pumpkin love!

the little one- They are quite fun!

stonie- indeed!

Happy Herbi- Thanks so much for stopping by! It's always great to know when people are reading!

Gigi, veggiegirl, PPvegan, mihl, chococoveredvegan, Judy- Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

I can't remember how I found your blog but I love it! I made the donut this weekend for a holiday potluck I am having at work tomorrow. I know everyone will love them. Thank you!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

VeganFabulous- PLEASE let me know how people liked them! I'm always looking for ways to make things better.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, there is no way you can stop me from making these doughnuts!!

Anonymous said...

Finally made these this morning. YUM! I skipped the glaze for mine and they were plenty sweet enough for me, but I'll probably try it out on the ones I'm giving away. Thanks for the great recipe!

J-Dub said...

hmmm I've got just about everything I need to make these next weekend....I think you might be a genius, melliser!

Anonymous said...



免費視訊聊天 辣妹視訊 視訊交友網 美女視訊 視訊交友 視訊交友90739 成人聊天室 視訊聊天室 視訊聊天 視訊聊天室 情色視訊 情人視訊網 視訊美女
一葉情貼圖片區 免費視訊聊天室 免費視訊 ut聊天室 聊天室 豆豆聊天室 尋夢園聊天室 聊天室尋夢園 影音視訊聊天室 


辣妹視訊 美女視訊 視訊交友網 視訊聊天室 視訊交友 視訊美女 免費視訊 免費視訊聊天 視訊交友90739 免費視訊聊天室 成人聊天室 視訊聊天 視訊交友aooyy
哈啦聊天室 辣妺視訊 A片 色情A片 視訊 080視訊聊天室 視訊美女34c 視訊情人高雄網 視訊交友高雄網 0204貼圖區 sex520免費影片 情色貼圖 視訊ukiss 視訊ggoo 視訊美女ggoo


080苗栗人聊天室 080中部人聊天室ut ut影音視訊聊天室13077 視訊做愛 kk777視訊俱樂部 上班族聊天室 聊天室找一夜 情色交友 情色貼片 小瓢蟲情色論壇 aio交友愛情館


哈拉聊天室 洪爺影城

occupational health and safety program said...

Thanks for posting, definitely going to subscribe! See you on my reader. Please come visit my site safety regulations give me any valuable feedbacks.

social worker said...

Awesome article, definitely liked the info provided. Just subscribed to your blog. Great stuff! . I am new to seo, trying to visit more seo blogs for guides and tips. You can be friends with me. Please come visit my site health care when you got time. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to remind vegans that confectioners sugar is NOT vegan! Although they say no animal is in the sugar, they use cow bones etc to make the sugar. but i still love this site!!

Wholesale Canada Wrist Watches said...

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business Please come visit my site Cheap Wholesale Canada Watches when you got time.

Costume jewelry wholesale said...

This is just another reason why I like your website. I like your style of writing you tell your stories without out sending us to 5 other sites to complete the story. Please come visit my site wholesale give me any valuable feedbacks.

Living In Apartment said...

It is very interesting article and quite impressive and more informative and looking forward to read such article. Please come visit my site living in apartment when you got time.

Antiques Guide said...

Since I’m new to blogging, these articles are greatly appreciated; very useful and informative blog and every body must visit this blog. Please come visit my site guide to antique give me any valuable feedbacks.

Unknown said...

Nice veg recipe! I will try it at a weekend.

Website SEO