Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Brassica Supper Club; New Vegan Dining in San Francisco

Please head over to my new blog at TheUrbanHousewife.com, where you'll find this post & more!

Recently, a new vegan dining option popped up in San Francisco called Brassica Supperclub. Brassica is not your typical restaurant though, as it only serves on select Friday & Saturday nights, at a secret location that's disclosed once you make reservations. Brassica offers a 4 course meal for $35, which includes a salad, soup, entree, & dessert. The chefs are likely best known for their time at the short lived Usual Suspects Cafe, but they have also worked in the kitchens of Millennium & Cafe Gratitude, so you know they have serious skills. I happened to attend the very first night of this exclusive dinner & thought I should report on my findings.

The meal started with a salad of Baby Lacinato Kale, topped with Orange Supremes, Toasted Pumpkin Seeds, Avocado, Pickled Onions, & a tangy Orange Vinaigrette. While I worried kale would make for a bitter salad, this was not the case at all! I even found myself enjoying the pickled onions, which is something you won't hear often from me, as I'm not a big onion fan.

Next was the soup, a White Bean Puree. It contained pieces of roasted Turnips & Parsnips, plus it was drizzled with a Ramp Gremolata. The Gremolata added quite the kick to the mellow bean puree & the texture of the veggies were a great addition!

Already starting to fill up, I had to make room for the entree! Berbere spiced Teff Cakes sat atop Fava-Garlic Mash & were paired with a side of Sautéed Bordeaux Spinach & Smoked Tofu with a New Carrot - Chile Sauce. The teff cakes were crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, with a bit of spice, while a bit plain on their own, they were elevated to delicious with the amazing New Carrot-Chile sauce. The Carrot-Chile sauce was definitely the talk of the table, we all loved it. The Fava Garlic mash had a great zing to it & the Spinach & Smoked Tofu were a nice compliment to everything.

As if the previous three courses weren't filling enough, another course was on its way, this time of the sweet persuasion! Two layers of Vanilla Cake were filled with Tangerine Mousse & topped with Chocolate Ganache & Macadamia Cream, in a Citrus Jus. The spongy cake & decadent ganache & macadamia cream were perfect with the zip from the citrus filling & sauce, plus the candied zest. A lovely finish to a lovely meal!

If you live in the San Francisco area, don't miss out on a Brassica Supperclub event! The next one is coming up on May 29th & 30th, the menu has been posted, & last I checked, tickets were still available for Saturday! Check it out!

22 comments:

veganfoodism said...

that is such a neat concept and the food looks and sounds delicious!

The Voracious Vegan said...

That is SO cool, what an amazing idea! And what delicious flavor combinations in those dishes, really scrumptious. I want to go!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

it all looks delicious - especially the pud, sounds amazing!

Lisa said...

what a cool concept! It gives me another reason to visit San Francisco again sometime.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oooohhh, I love the idea of a super secret location. Dinner looks excellent. Hopefully they will be having one of these dinners for our annual SF trip in the fall!
Looking forward to hearing about Chicago! Hope your new tattoo is healing!

chow vegan said...

Wow! this is the first I've heard of this place. It sounds so cool and everything looks so tasty! I'm going to have to check them out sometime. Thanks!

Bianca said...

Cool! I read an article in some magazine recently about these secret supper clubs popping up all over. I wish Memphis had something like that.

x said...

I love the idea of a secret superclub restuarant just popping up! And that dessert looks deeeeelicious!

Chelsea said...

Damn! Portland ain't got nothing on SF!!!

PB and Jess said...

Ohhhh...fancy! Sounds like it was fun and tasty. I wish I had an option like that in St. Louis!

dreaminitvegan said...

How mysterious, it's like a secret club or something. All of your food looks delicious.

Jenn Shagrin said...

There's a place like this in LA, but they don't have vegan options.

In any event, you're one luck biotch. I ogled the Dyson's at our gigantic Bed Bath & Beyond, but decided they were Beyond my price range to clean my Bed and Bath ;)

Anonymous said...

Yet another thing to love about SF! Excellent.

Wheeler's Crew said...

This sounds like such a cool place! The food looks delicious too!

MeloMeals said...

That is so cool! I love the concept and the food looks amazing. God, I really need to move someplace where I can work cooking the food I love.

quarrygirl said...

this looks awesome. i wish they had something like this that was all vegan in los angeles! SF has all the fun.

Unknown said...

That sounds so delish...I love SF, can't wait to vistit again. I also love the blog, have been reading it for an hour or so...catching up!

Hannah said...

Oh, that dessert especially looks amazing! Seriously, sometimes I feel like you west coast vegan have all the fun...

miss v said...

super awesome! i so wish we had something cool like that here in the midwest.

i didn't know you weren't an onion fan... me neither, although i believe that i would have eaten those!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Sigh...I need to visit San Francisco very soon!

Anonymous said...

we checked this out on sat thanks to your blog. Amazing food, cool people and a decent price. The only downside was sitting on the floor for 3 hours. We will definitely be going back!

DSSP said...

We just tried it on Friday night. It was an altogether amazing experience. Great food, great atmosphere, reat company. Yum!