Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tasty Testing, Ambrosia Salad, & upcoming trips!

Please head over to my new blog at TheUrbanHousewife.com, where you'll find this post & more!

Thank you everyone for the well wishes on my last post. I am finally feeling better, I'm back in the kitchen & ready to share my culinary adventures! Lately, I have been devoting time to recipe testing for two of my favorite people, superstar cookbook authors, Isa & Terry! I've mentioned the upcoming Vegan Latina book from Terry before & trust me, it's going to be phenomenal (check out The Sisters Vegan post), but did you know Isa has another book coming up as well? Hot off the heels of Vegan Brunch, will be a whole foods, weight conscious cookbook, low on fat, but high on flavor! I've made quite a few dishes already like the Caribbean Black Eyed Pea Curry with Plantains, a Potato & Corn Salad that gets a kick from Chipotle Peppers & other dishes all varied & delicious! In the photos are a Quinoa Salad with beans, veggies, & toasted Cumin Seeds, plus some chewy & delicious Scarlet Barley topped in Mushroom & Cannelini Paprikas! Trust me, you would never know this was a low-fat book, everything has been fabulous!

In a previous post, I mentioned I had made vegan Ambrosia Salad for a potluck at my house. Well, based on the comments & emails it seems people want to make this trashy treat for themselves! There's not much of a recipe, much like the original, it's all about opening processed food containers & pouring them in to a bowl, but hey, you asked for it, so you get it! I used organic canned fruit, but if you want to stick to the classic version, go for syrupy fruit cocktail & maraschino cherries!

Vegan Ambrosia Salad
1 box of Soyatoo Whipped Cream
1 Vanilla Bean or Vanilla extract (optional)
1 can of Fruit Cocktail, drained
1 jar or can of Cherries, drained & sliced
1 bag of Dandies Vegan Marshmallows
1 cup of shredded coconut (optional, I served mine on the side, as an add-in.)

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine Soyatoo Whipped Cream & vanilla. Whip for a few minutes, until it reaches a fluffy consistency.
Combine the fruit in a large bowl, fold in the whipped cream mixture, then the marshmallows & coconut (if using).
Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. (Yes, it's that easy.)

In travel news, Ryan, Strummer, & I are off to Southern California this weekend to see relatives. Hopefully, I'll have some tasty food to report on when I get back! Also, in late September, I'm headed to Austin, TX & would love to meet up with my Texas vegan pals, so get in touch!

In uber exciting news.. we're going (back) to JAPAN! Ryan & I recently celebrated 11 years as a couple & to reward ourselves, we booked a flight to Tokyo in October. Calling all vegans in Japan! We want to meet you! Of course, suggestions on where to go are very much welcome. We went to Japan on our honeymoon 4 years ago in October, as you can see in the photo from a Purikura booth, but we'd like to see new things this time. We will likely be in Tokyo, Kyoto, & Nara, but are open to suggestions! Bring 'em on!

47 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

I just got a copy of Vegan Brunch and I am thrilled! Isa is a genius and you must be having a blast testing all of those delicious recipes. Excited to hear about her new book!

Have fun in Japan and congratulations on your anniversary!

dirtyduck said...

in japan have you heard of dan kahl, he is a white dude that does comedy? i tried quinoa(grr i CANT EVER get the spelling right on that!!) and i think i cooked it a little to long. your post will help me do it right next time! yay for food that grows a tale when you cook it!!

Lisa said...

Wow, so much interesting news! I love the sneak preview of Isa's recipes. And all your trips sound exciting. Austin is one of my very favorite cities. Make sure to hit Bouldin Creek Cafe for the tofu scramble - it convinced me that I could be vegan!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

lucky you - japan is one of the places i've always wanted to go!

the tester food looks great, i can't wait for both of these books.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

WHOO HOO!!! Have fun in Japan, dear Melisser!!

Anonymous said...

"Soyatoo!® Soya Topping Cream
soy milk (water, soybeans*) (74%), coconut fat* (5%), palm fat* (5%), sugar beet syrup*, maltodextrin from maize*, acidifier: tartaric acid, thickener: seaweed extract, sea salt, natural vanilla flavour"

Yummy!

Vic Robinson said...

Sounds like a great trip. Gratz on 11 years!

¡Yo Soy Liz! said...

oh man this is an exciting post--the highly anticipated ambrosia recipe and news about my idea of a perfect cookbook: isa plus healthy! aghhh!

Meg said...

OMGGGGGG cutest picture of you and Ryan ever!! Love it! Also I was just reading about Ambrosia Salad the other day, I can't wait to make it for my lutheran, big on jello/cool-whip 'salads' family.

T said...

OMG I remember ambrosia salad from the picnics of my youth... now THERE's something I wouldn't expect to be veganized!

Japan is so rad, what a perfect anniversary trip!

Bianca said...

Happy anniversary! You and Ryan are so cute!

And how exciting about the weight-conscious Isa book! I knew about Vegan Latina coming up, but hadn't heard about the new Isa book. Yea!

quarrygirl said...

i can't wait to hear about how tokyo is as a vegan!! i am so excited for you and ryan. :)

kim g. said...

I've been thinking about ambrosia salad ever since you mentioned it - I can't wait to try the recipe! Have fun on your trips!

Tami said...

What an adorable photo! Congratulations on 11 years- can't wait to hear about the trip!

Jenn Shagrin said...

Thanks, homeslice..but it takes two to tango :)

Seriously good lookin' food, too.

Ryan said...

I had green hair then.. Fun!

Leigh said...

Happy belated anniversary!

DJ said...

Woah! That Ambrosia salad is too much!! Yay on your anniversary trip to Japan - very exciting!

Meghan said...

what are you doing in austin? and when? oooh, i so hope it's not when i'm gone and we can meet! fill me in on the details...ironmeghan@yahoo.com

Hannah said...

Okay, so I'm almost always jealous of you for various reasons, but now you're planning a trip to Japan? Seriously, Tokyo is just about my favorite place in the whole world. I would move there if it wasn't such a ridiculous proposition. Sigh! Make sure you take lots and lots of pictures at least so I can live vicariously through you!

Penny said...

Not to toot my own horn, but I've been to both Austin & Japan this year and did some serious eating! Check out CP for some recommendations (label: Japan, Southwest)..and happy anniversary :)

Anonymous said...

Japan! I would love to go - you'll both have such a wonderful time - and happy anniversary!!!

The Traveling Vegetarian said...

So great to meet you, Ryan and Strummer! I didn't know about Isa's low-fat book. Excited. Woo!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

How awesome. Thanks for yo help with our SF trip. We ended up ordering a Maggie Mudd vegan Gluten-free Strawberry Shortcake and it was amazing. Again, thank you for your help.

miss v said...

two new cookbooks on their way?! exciting! and thanks for the ambrosia salad recipe - i've never made it, but now i can volunteer for the thanksgiving dinner! :)

have fun in japan - how cool!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Awesome news about Japan! I hope we get a chance to meet up while you're visiting next week. :)

aTxVegn said...

I'm so excited about all the new cookbooks. All the testers look amazing.

Ambrosia is always a hit. Everyone knows what it is, and everyone always loves it!

It's so exciting that you get to go back to Japan - an occasion that deserves a special celebration.

aTxVegn said...

Oh, yeh, please let me know when you come to Austin!

Amy said...

So many new cookbooks! I don't think I can wait!!!

I am loving that Ambrosia Salad. Mmmmm.

Have a blast in Japan and Happy Anniversary!

jessy said...

congrats to you & ryan! that rocks so hard! 11 years = the best! have fun in japan & southern california! i'm all about trashy treatz - ambrosia salad = awesomesauce! yay!

Jenn Shagrin said...

Thanks!

I've got an opening on my couch, which is dramatically more comfortable than my kitchen linoleum...just so to don't mind a Jack Russell/Chihuahua kissing you to death all night long :)

Mary said...

I can't wait for Terry's book, and I had no idea Isa was working on another one. Low-fat sounds great!

And what a great way to celebrate your anniversary. Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

happy anni!

veganfoodism said...

so many great cookbooks coming out, cannot wait!

you and ryan are my vegan travel(ing) heroes. cannot wait for all the stories. and aughh, how cute is that picture??!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your work! GREAT post! I looked around for this… but I found you! Anyway, would you mind if I threw up a backlink from my site? Please come visit my site Fremont Yellow Page Business Directory when you got time.

Gregory said...

Let me know when y'all will be in Austin. Depending on y'all's itenerary and my schedule, we may be able to meet up with the other Austin vegans that have posted on here.

--Gregory

gregoryrankin2104@hotmail.com

Red said...

There is obviously a lot more than this. Would you mind telling me how long it took you to gather your content? Please come visit my site yellowpage when you got time.

Santa said...

This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday. Please come visit my site FeRioRoswell when you got time.

Erin said...

That picture of you and Ryan is so friggin' cute!

CwirCwir said...

Hi! I saw you on Julie's Everyday Dish podcast and I already love your blog! And so nice to hear you're coming to Japan!! Since there aren't a lot of vegans in Tokyo yet, it's not too much of a vegan friendly city I would say, but I recommend a great restaurant called Biocafe in Shibuya, Tokyo. Their dishes are almost all vegan with a few exceptions. So hearty and delicious!! They also have a great variety of amazing moist bagels to go. Trust me, I love the restaurant and I'm Japanese!

business intelligence 2009 said...

Hey congrats on the new posting come out
btw i love your blog although i have just stumbled upon it =)
Love the new pictures you got there! Please come visit my site businesses marketing
give me any valuable feedbacks.

business process management summit said...

love your blog! Very cool! Please come visit my site management business case
when you got time.

catering said...

I am deeply in love with every single piece of information you post here. Will be back often to read more updates! Please come visit my site take out when you got time.

hair and beauty salon said...

Glad I stumbled into this article! Finally, got what I was looking for to put on my school report... Thanks for sharing this. I would love some feedback on my site esthetician when you got time.

TORONTO said...

Me and my friend were arguing about an issue similar to this! Now I know that I was right. lol! Thanks for the information you post. I would love some feedback on my siteArts & Humanities when you got time.

British Columbia said...

What a blog filled with vital and important information this is .. It must have taken a lot of hours for you to write these yourself. Hats off from me for your hard work. Please come visit my site business directory give me any valuable feedbacks.

House Apartment said...

I am not really sure if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your great job is clearly identifed. I was wondering if you offer any subscription to your RSS feeds as I would be very interested and can’t find any link to subscribe here. Please come visit my site living in apartment give me any valuable feedbacks.